Monday, August 6, 2012

Holy Monkey Bread!

Saturday morning I sat starving, as usual, and wished that I had a sweet little chef in my kitchen that I could summon to make pure breakfasty deliciousness. Unfortunately, I had no tiny chef, but I did have refrigerated biscuits in the fridge. It hit me - monkey bread!

I remember my mom making monkey bread once or twice when I was a kid. I also remember thinking what did I ever do to deserve this plate of heaven? So if you want your kids (or hubby) on their best behavior, just throw out two little words: monkey bread. 

Not sure who came up with the monkey title. I'm thinking of renaming it to Stop My Heart Bread, both from the insane deliciousness and the overload of calories. Either way, it's an incredibly special breakfast that should only make a grand appearance every few months.
When it comes out of the oven, you'll have to wait ten torturous minutes for it to cool (otherwise you'll singe your taste buds off). When you do finally dive in, you'll find ooey gooey soft biscuit pieces, as well as crunchy outer pieces with caramelized sugar.

Let me tell you...it's heaven in your mouth. Plus it's super easy to make with only 5 ingredients! 

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray bundt pan with cooking spray.

Use a pizza cutter to cut all of the refrigerated biscuits into four.

Melt butter and mix up cinnamon sugar.

Dip each biscuit piece in butter, then cinnamon sugar, and place in greased bundt pan. Don't smash down the biscuits, because you want them to puff up.

Bake at 350° for 40 minutes. The biscuits will come out puffy, caramelized, and beautiful. YUM!

After letting the monkey bread cool for 10 minutes, flip it over onto a plate and serve!

Easy Peasy Monkey Bread

Adapted from Gimme Some Oven
Ingredients
  • 2 (16 oz.) cans refrigerated biscuits
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray bundt pan with cooking spray.

Remove biscuits from can and, using a pizza cutter, cut each biscuit into quarters. Take out two small bowls. In one, melt the butter. In the other, whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon.

Now take each piece of dough and dip it into the butter first, then roll it around in the cinnamon sugar and place into the greased bundt pan. Continue until all pieces are in the pan. Don't smash the biscuit pieces down, because you want them to puff up in the oven. Pour remaining butter over the top (nobody said it was low-calorie!).

Bake for 40 minutes. Remove and let cool for about 10 minutes. Invert monkey bread onto a plate, carefully, and serve!

{If you're looking to go into a food coma, like my boyfriend, you can make a cream cheese dipping sauce. Just whisk together some softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, a splash of vanilla extract, and a little cream (or milk) until it's the desired consistency.}






I'm sharing this Stop My Heart Bread over at My Girlish Whims, The DIY Dreamer, Be Colorful, An Original BelleMommy By Day Crafter By Night.

3 comments:

  1. I do love monkey bread--this looks like an easy tasty recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm smitten. :D Love Monkey Bread. Thanks for sharing your version of it on BeColorful.
    pr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's dessert!! WOW!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...