Friday, February 24, 2012

"Bling Box" for Little Ladies

Our friends' little girl turned 3 a few days ago and I wanted to make her something special for her birthday. The challenge was my limited budget and last-minute time crunch (my creative genius always likes to make its appearance at the last minute). I knew that she loved to play dress-up with her cousins. So I came up with the idea for a "bling box." 

This bling box has everything a little lady needs to accessorize her outfit - necklaces, bracelets, rings, sunglasses, and girly headbands. And it's made mostly from stuff I had around the house and items from the dollar store.


I used a hatbox, that I already had laying around the house, and personalized it with her name.
I used my Cricut to cut out the letters, then decoupaged them, as well as a blue strip on the side, onto the box using Mod Podge.

I started with headbands from the dollar store, 8 for $2.00.

I also picked up a couple of these tutus at the dollar store - perfect material for making veils and bows for the headbands.

Michael's was my one stop in addition to the dollar store. Their flowers were 40% off and it just so happened that I had a gift card (I told you I was on a budget). I also grabbed some feathers.

I started by clipping off all of the flowers with wire cutters. You want to cut them as close to the flower as possible, so that they will lay better when glued to the headbands. Then I laid out my feathers, grabbed some felt, and warmed up the hot glue gun. Once I had all my goodies in front of me, I turned up my tunes and started cranking out girly headbands like a mad woman. Seriously, feathers were flying and hot glue was everywhere.

{I'm sorry I couldn't come up with a better way to display the headbands while photographing. I stuffed a hand towel into a sunhat. It's not pretty, but it works.} 

Here's the hair bling I came up with:



I stopped to make these pink chocolate rice krispie treats for her birthday dinner...then more headbands.



This little veil (from the dollar store tutus) was one of Donna's favorites.

Into the bling box went my dollar store finds: heart bracelets, gem rings, Mardi Gras beads, star-shaped sunglasses, Dora the Explorer chapstick, and the headbands.

Donna, the birthday girl
When she saw the box, she went "WoooOOoooow!" with a huge smile on her face. Then she opened it, and continued to say "wow" at each piece of bling she pulled out. It was so cute and made it all worth it.


The other girls joined in, of course.





Is there a rule against wearing two? I don't think so. 

This was so much fun to make and the little girls loved it. If there's a little gal in your life, consider making her a "bling box." I guarantee she'll love it.


Pin It

I'm sharing this project over at Crafty Scrappy Me, 52 Mantels, The Girl Creative, An Original Belle, Tatertots and Jello, Night Owl Crafting, My Girlish Whims, Giggles Glitz and Glam, A Glimpse Inside, The DIY Dreamer, Uncommon Designs, Bubbly Nature Creations, and Kojo Designs. Check out the other great ideas!

7 comments:

  1. So cute! what a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm....that is some intense cuteness going on at the end with the little models!! :)

    I adore your headbands! What little girl wouldn't want her very own bling box?? Perfection!

    Thanks so much for coming by 52 Mantels!! I'm following you via email! I'll follow you on GFC and linky too (because, I'm totally sold on this blog!) ;), but I don't see those options. Am I just not missing them?? Sometimes I don't see things right in front of my face!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Emily! I fell in love with your blog when I came across your link party and started exploring.

      I still consider myself new to the blogging world. I only recently discovered link parties. So...no, I don't have GFC or Linky set up. I'm still figuring out how all of these things work and what they do. Sad I know.

      Thank you so much for following my blog. I'm following you right back.

      Delete
    2. Ok I finally added GFC and Linky. I'd love for you to follow. Thanks for encouraging me to add these Emily. I'll be following you right back! :)

      Delete
  3. So cute!!! Looks like she loved it!!! Any little girl would love to receive a box like that!

    I have a project party every weekend that I would like to invite you to here: http://bubblynaturecreations.com/2012/03/project-party-weekend-pretty-striped-pencils-tutorial.html
    We would love to have you join us! xoxo- Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure will. I'm headed over there right now. :)

      Delete

Let me know what you think. I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...